Are Bonfires Safe in Greenford in the Late Summer?
If you have experienced fire damage at your Starrs Corners, Salem, New Springfield, and surrounding areas home, don’t hesitate to give us a call.
Late summer presents an opportunity for fires in late August and early September here in Greenford, Willow Crest, Petersburg and their surrounding areas. Careful planning can keep your home safe this Summer. SERVPRO of Mahoning and North Columbiana Counties is here to give you some tips about bonfires at your Youngstown home while the hot weather is at its peak.
Get Rid of Young, Sprouted Growth.
Land and Legacy recommends killing young wooded species of tree growth to at least 2 inches DBH. DBH means the diameter of each tree is measured at “breast height”, defined as 1.35m up from the highest point of ground at the tree's base. The biggest culprits of young growth are species like cedar, honey locust, Osage orange, and other sprouts. This can turn the clock back almost three years, says L&L.
Fire Pit Safety
Fire pits can be the highlight of any East Liverpool backyard. Just ensure you are following proper protocol when it comes to burning. Ensure the pit is at least 10 feet away from any structure, avoid windy conditions that can spread embers, and keep a hose or bucket nearby in the case of fire outside the pit.
The CPSC has some good tips on home firework lighting, “Back up to a safe distance immediately after lighting fireworks. Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully. Never point or throw fireworks at another person. Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap. Light fireworks one at a time, then move back quickly.” No matter how safe and precautions you may be. Accidents can always happen. If you have a fire outbreak at your Negley home.
If you have experienced fire damage at your Starrs Corners, Salem, New Springfield, and surrounding areas home, don’t hesitate to give us a call or visit our website to Learn More.
What Does it Take to Restore Salem Homes After a Disaster?
When your Columbiana home needs restoration, call SERVPRO of Mahoning and North Columbiana Counties fast.
You know SERVPRO of Mahoning and North Columbiana Counties as an industry leader in fire and water damage restoration. But how did we get there? Not every restoration company can handle the disasters we help the community recover from. What does it take to help members of our community recover from these disasters? There are three tools we utilize:
Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s Corporate Training Facility to regular IICRC industry certifications, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property. Who is the IICRC?
The Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) certifies and sets the standards for the cleaning and restoration industries. Our Professionals study IICRC standards and best practices in water restoration, fire restoration, mold remediation, carpet and upholstery cleaning, and other cleaning and restoration courses.
SERVPRO of Mahoning and North Columbiana Counties is jam packed with experience in the restoration field. We have been serving not just our community, but the entire country. In the past 12 months, we have traveled to Dallas to assist in winter storms and Detroit to assist in the flooding they experienced. We’ve just about seen it all!
The last component giving us the ability to handle any disaster thrown your way is equipment. The past few decades have seen a rapid advancement in the technology and techniques used in the restoration industry. These advancements allow our team of professionals to restore your Youngstown property back to preloss condition quickly, reliably, and more effectively.
When your Columbiana home needs restoration, call SERVPRO of Mahoning and North Columbiana Counties fast. Let our training, experience, and equipment go to work for you and your family. Call us at (330) 536-7477 or visit our Website to get your home or business to look “Like it never even happened.”
4 Summer Fire Prevention Tips in Youngstown
With warm weather comes fire hazards. And summer brings quite a few! Allow SERVPRO to give you some tips on how to be safe from fire this summer.
With warm weather comes fire hazards. And summer brings quite a few! Allow SERVPRO of Mahoning and North Columbiana Counties to give you some tips on how to be safe from fire this summer.
Campfires sure can be fun. Summer brings s’mores and fun around the warm flame. But ensure that you fire is contained by keeping it away, at least 25 feet, from a structure, shrubs, or anything else that is flammable.
Fireworks are extremely dangerous and should be left to professionals. Even sparklers can reach 1,200 F and can cause third-degree burns. When handling fireworks, protective eyewear should be worn. Ensure you are far away from structures and bushes. And most importantly, never consume alcohol while working with fireworks.
Fireplaces and Pits
Use chimineys, outdoor fireplaces, and fire pits outdoors only and at least 10 feet away from your home or anything that can burn.
All types of grills should be used outdoors only. Never gill indoors or in the garage. Indoor grilling is not only a fire hazard---but can cause fire monoxide poisoning as well. Keep the grill off the deck and away from railways, out of reach of children, and never near overhanging branches.
SERVPRO of Mahoning and North Columbiana Counties specializes in fire and water damage restoration. We have the specific damage restoration training, personnel, and equipment and can quickly restore your home, so it looks "Like it never even happened." If you experience fire damage and are in need of immediate assistance call (330) 536-7477.
How to Prepare Your Youngstown Home Before Vacation
We are considered a “large loss” SERVPRO, meaning we have the capacity to handle every job no matter how big or small it may be.
There is nothing worse than coming home from a relaxing vacation to water damage. Obviously when you are away, disasters can get out of control very quickly. That’s why SERVPRO of Mahoning and North Columbiana Counties is here to give you some going away tips before you leave for your retreat. Let’s get busy!
Walk Through the Entire House
Looking over your Boardman house, in its entirety, is the best way to check for problems before you leave. Check the pipes underneath the sink, ensure the sump pump is running, and check your water heater for any cracks or leaks.
Turn off the Water Supply
Usually, a leaky supply line happens while you are away. Turning the main line off while you are on vacation eliminates the chance of a pipe burst causing major structural damage to your Boardman home.
Check the Gutters
We know you just cleaned those out, right?! If not, make sure to do it before you leave. If there is heavy rainfall while you are away this will ensure the gutters are free of debris, leaves, and sticks and can prevent a water disaster from affecting your attic.
Replace Plastic Supply Lines
Swapping out plastic lines for stainless steel ones could be one of the best last-minute decisions of your life. This inexpensive switch can reduce the chance of leaks therefore highly eliminating the chance of pipe break while you are away.
Even if you think you have covered every precaution in the world…accidents can still happen. And when they do, SERVPRO of Mahoning and North Columbiana Counties is Here to Help. We are the area’s number one water restoration company. We are considered a “large loss” SERVPRO, meaning we have the capacity to handle every job no matter how big or small it may be.
If you find yourself in the middle of water disaster, don’t hesitate to give us a call for immediate assistance at (330) 536-7477 or visit our Website for more information.
Mold is in My Boardman Home's Basement, What Should I Do?
SERVPRO of Mahoning and North Columbiana Counties is here with a plan of action for when you see mold in your Youngstown basement.
Mold can sometimes be all too common for Ohio basements. An extended stay by moisture in your Boardman home can result in mold spreading. Mold spreads quickly, in as little as 48-72 hours. We can see wet basements from heavy rainfall (which we get plenty of this time of year), drain backups, and more. SERVPRO of Mahoning and North Columbiana Counties is here with a plan of action for when you see mold in your Youngstown basement.
Step 1: Call SERVPRO of Mahoning and North Columbiana Counties
When mold comes into the equation, you should not attempt to deal with your flooded basement alone. Mold can be harmful to you and your health. Mold can produce harmful allergens and irritants, you will need a professional that has training, experience, and equipment to properly resolve the mold infestation.
Step 2: Before Help Arrives
SERVPRO of Mahoning and North Columbiana Counties responds faster to any size disaster so you won’t be waiting long! However, refer to these Mold Damage Tips before we get there:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
There is not much you can do, and that is okay! SERVPRO of Mahoning and North Columbiana Counties training, experience, and equipment will get your basement restored fast.
Step 3: What NOT To Do
More important than what you can do, here are some things to avoid doing when you see mold in your Salem basement. Follow these tips to stay safe when there is mold in your Salem home:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
Follow these steps to stay safe and allow SERVPRO of Mahoning and North Columbiana Counties to properly remediate mold in your Salem basement. We are experts on mold remediation! If you see mold in your Columbiana County home, call us today at (330) 536-7477 or visit our Website. We are Here to Help!
Is My Shower Leaking in My Salem Home Really That Big of a Deal?
Why would a small shower leak be such a hazard? Well, any obscured water leak can cause mold and mildew to start growing.
Let’s talk hypothetic scenarios. You master bathroom shower head has been dripping. Okay, leaking for who knows how long. You’ve seen it. Ignored it. Hoped it would stop. But it hasn’t. You think about it after you shower. You think…“could that be a bigger problem than I think?” Eh. It’s a quick thought, and you go about your day. SERVPRO of Mahoning and North Columbiana Counties is here to remind you about that shower head and to warn you that hidden water leaks are a hazard in any bathroom.
Why would a small shower leak be such a hazard? Well. For starters, any obscured water leak can cause mold and mildew to start growing. Drywall impacted by a water leak can begin to grow mold and mildew as soon as 24 hours after exposure. Not what you needed to hear, right? Drywall acts as a sponge to water and moisture. Even if the mold and mildew are not visible—you can bet your ‘shampoo’ that a leaky shower head is guaranteed to have some sort of buildup. If you attempt to fix the leak yourself; you will most likely have to replace some of the damaged drywall that was touched by mold. And if breathing in mold does not scare you…the fact that it’s most likely rotting away the wood in your studs, struts and other supporting beams in your bathroom should. This leaves the structure of your home susceptible to termites and roaches to further undermine the structure of the house. Not a good look.
Finding a hidden leak can be tricky. The goal is tracing it back to its source. It will take some investigation and problem solving since it isn’t always as obvious as you’d like it to be. Build.com gives some key points to looks for:
- The main signs to look for are dampness on walls, on the floor, or the ceiling, and a musty odor in the bathroom, even when not in use.
- Eliminate other causes and easy fixes first, and then, once you’re certain it’s behind the walls, do the work to pinpoint the cause and source of the shower leak.
- Keep in mind that repairing the piping may seem easy enough, but remedying mold, mildew and damaged structural components or drywall may take time and some research.
- If you aren’t willing to call in a pro, make use of pipe patching materials to stop the leak until you’re able to properly fix it and the damage it’s done.
Hidden water leaks are no easy task to tackle. If you feel this is something that’s over your head----call SERVPRO of Mahoning and North Columbiana Counties
We are water damage restoration specialists and are ready to restore your Salem home back to pre-water damage condition. We quickly extract the water and then dry your property using state-of-the-art equipment. SERVPRO of Mahoning and North Columbiana Countites uses moisture monitoring equipment to effectively measure and document the drying process to ensure your property is dry.
Please refer to our Water Damage Tips—Until Help Arrives Guide and follow these tips to protect yourself and your property. For immediate assistance, give us a call, (330) 536-7477.
6 Amazing Benefits of Summer Rainstorms
While the benefits of summer storms are significant, it's important to remember that severe storms can also pose risks to personal safety & property.
While summer storms can bring inconveniences and hazards, they also offer certain benefits to the environment and ecosystems. Here are a few advantages of summer storms:
- Replenishing Water Supply: Summer storms contribute to replenishing the water supply, especially in areas that experience drought or water scarcity. The rainfall from these storms helps to recharge groundwater reserves, replenish rivers and lakes, and maintain the overall water balance in ecosystems.
- Promoting Plant Growth: Adequate rainfall from summer storms is essential for plant growth and agriculture. The moisture provided by the storms nourishes plants, helping them thrive and produce crops. This is particularly beneficial for farmers and gardeners who rely on rainfall for irrigation purposes.
- Reducing Heat and Humidity: Summer storms often bring temporary relief from the intense heat and humidity associated with the season. The rain and cooler air that accompany the storms can provide a brief respite, making the environment more comfortable for outdoor activities and providing relief to humans and animals.
- Clearing the Air: Summer storms help cleanse the air by washing away pollutants and allergens, such as dust, pollen, and smog. The rain can remove these particles from the atmosphere, resulting in cleaner and fresher air quality.
- Ecological Balance: Storms play a role in maintaining the ecological balance of ecosystems. They provide water sources for various organisms, replenish natural habitats, and support the overall health of flora and fauna. Additionally, storm-related changes in temperature and humidity can trigger specific ecological processes, such as seed germination and insect activity.
- Aesthetic Appeal: Some people appreciate the dramatic and awe-inspiring nature of summer storms. Lightning displays, dark storm clouds, and the sound of rain can create a unique atmosphere, inspiring artists, photographers, and nature enthusiasts.
While the benefits of summer storms are significant, it's important to remember that severe storms can also pose risks to personal safety and property. It's crucial to stay informed about weather conditions, follow any safety precautions, and be prepared for potential hazards associated with these storms.
Storms can take a toll on your home and commercial property. They can cause flooding, roof damage, and more. SERVPRO of Mahoning and North Columbiana Counties are experts in water damage restoration and we are available 24/7 in the event of an emergency. Call (330) 536-7477 for immediate assistance or visit our Website to learn more.
5 Important Tips to Help You Recover from Fire Damage
Remember that the process of recovering from fire damage can take time and patience.
Recovering from fire damage can be a challenging and overwhelming process, but with the right approach and support, it is possible to restore your home and belongings. Here are some steps to help you recover from fire damage:
- Ensure Safety: Before entering your property, make sure it is safe to do so. Contact the relevant authorities, such as the fire department or building inspectors, to assess the structural integrity and safety hazards. Follow their instructions and recommendations.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: Notify your insurance company as soon as possible to report the fire damage and initiate the claims process. Document the damage by taking photographs or videos, and provide a detailed inventory of the affected items.
- Mitigate Further Damage: Work with your local fire restoration professionals to mitigate further damage to your property. We can assist with tasks such as water extraction, drying, and preventing mold growth. Prompt action is crucial to prevent secondary damage.
- Assess and Restore: Engage the services of a reputable fire damage restoration company. We have the expertise and equipment to assess the extent of the damage and develop a comprehensive restoration plan. We will clean, repairi, and rebuild affected areas, as well as salvage and restore damaged belongings.
- Seek Support: Recovering from fire damage can be emotionally challenging. Reach out to family, friends, or support groups to help you cope with the stress and emotions that may arise during the recovery process.
Remember that the process of recovering from fire damage can take time and patience. Be prepared for unexpected challenges and delays, and rely on professionals with expertise in fire damage restoration to guide you through the process. SERVPRO of Mahoning and North Columbiana Counties is here for you in your time of need. Fire damage is a lot to go through, adn you don’t have to go through it alone. Call (330) 536-7477 for immediate assistance or visit our Website for more information. We can make your fire damage look, “Like it never even happened.”
What to Do When Your Boardman Business Catches Fire
We have the capacity, and skilled and trained professionals to make your disaster look, “Like it never even happened.”
When your business in Youngstown catches fire, you’re either wide awake or sleeping. Either way, as soon as you find out about the news, the first thing you should do is call 911. If this fire event does occur during the day, have everyone evacuate the building and make sure everyone is safe. Next, shut off any gas or electrical sources that may be fueling the fire and do not attempt to fight the fire yourself, as this can be dangerous and ineffective.
Whenever you have an extra moment of time, contact your insurance company to begin the claims process. Once this is done, you can then contact a fire damage restoration company to assess the damage and begin the cleanup process. Your local SERVPRO is a great option when it comes to fire damage restoration. Next, document the damage with photos and videos for insurance purposes. You can even contact your local Small Business Administration office for assistance with recovery. This is a great resource for your Cornersburg business.
After experiencing this disaster, you can call SERVPRO of Mahoning and North Columbiana Counties immediately for fire damage estimation and restoration. We have the capacity, and skilled and trained professionals to make your disaster look, “Like it never even happened.” For immediate assistance, call (330) 536-7477 or visit our Website for more information.
How to Prevent and Restore House Fires in Youngstown
To prevent fire damage from occurring you can make sure to install smoke detectors and fire alarms in your home.
When a fire occurs, immediate reaction is required to prevent extensive fire damage. To prevent fire damage from occurring you can make sure to install smoke detectors and fire alarms in your home. Residents of Cornersburg can also practice fire safety by keeping flammable items away from heat sources and never leaving candles or open flames unattended.
In case a fire does occur in your Youngstown home, here are some tips on how to restore:
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to start the claims process.
- Take pictures of the damage and document everything for your insurance claim.
- Remove any items that can be salvaged from the affected area and store them in a safe, dry place.
- Contact a fire damage restoration company to assess the damage and begin the restoration process.
- Clean and sanitize all affected areas to prevent mold growth.
- Replace any damaged items that cannot be salvaged or restored.
- Make sure to ventilate the affected area to reduce smoke and soot damage.
- Have your HVAC system inspected and cleaned if necessary.
- Have your carpets and furniture professionally cleaned and deodorized.
- Have your walls and ceilings inspected for any structural damage.
If you have experienced fire damage at your Poland, Boardman, Austintown, or surrounding areas home, give SERVPRO of Mahoning and North Columbiana Counties a call to make it look, “Like it never even happened.” You can visit our Website, or for immediate assistance call, (330) 536-7477.