What Do I Do After a Fire in My Youngstown Home?
Fires in your Youngstown home can be devastating, with physical and emotional damage present. SERVPRO of East Mahoning County is here for the community in times of need. So, what should you do after a fire hits your home? First, call SERVPRO of East Mahoning County. We have around the clock response; we are Here to Help! After that, what should you do?
After any fire damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
What To Do
Before SERVPRO of East Mahoning County begins restoring your Youngstown home, follow these tips:
- Change your HVAC filters.
- Limit movement around the home to prevent soot particles from embedding into carpets.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery, and carpet traffic areas.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
For a full list on “Do’s” check out these Fire Damage Tips.
What Not To Do
There are some things you should certainly avoid doing. Here is what you should not be doing:
- Don’t attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholster without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Follow these tips when your Youngstown home suffers from a fire. Do not forget to call SERVPRO of East Mahoning County right away. We are faster to any size disaster! Call us today at (330) 536-7477 or visit our Website to begin getting your home to pre-fire condition fast!