Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
SERVPRO of Mahoning and North Columbiana Counties loves to provide water damage emergency tips to make sure our community is prepared for whatever happens. The community of Starrs Corners, Petersburg, Canfield and their surrounding areas, SERVPRO is Here to Help when you need us most.
After any water damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
When you need help cleaning up from a water damage disaster to your home or business, please do not hesitate to give your local SERVPRO a call!
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (330) 536-7477
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.